How to properly secure your load
In order to safely transport your car trailer load with your Humbaur, it is important to follow these guidelines:
- Spread the load evenly over the trailer.
- Concentrated loads / one-sided loads should be avoided
- The main weight of the load should be over the axle.
- Lower the centre of gravity where possible.
- Do not let your load hang over the drop sides.
- Secure the whole load to prevent it from sliding.
- Comply with the minimum and maximum drawbar loads.
The main weight, with the lowest possible centre of gravity, should be located by the green arrow.
Incorrect load distribution with load at the rear of the trailer (drawbar load too low)
Incorrect load distribution with load at the front of the trailer (drawbar load too high)
How to correctly mark your car trailer
Comply with the overall length restriction
Without goods, the overall length (unloaded) must not exceed 18.75 m.? When loaded, it must not exceed 20.75 m.
Regulations for overhanging loads:
If the rear overhang is less than 1.0 m, no marking is required, but the lighting must not be covered. That means an upward angle of view of 15° must be ensured, otherwise an additional light mounting is mandatory.
Within the scope of the regulations1, you may drive unlimited distances with an overhang of up to 1.5 m. An overhang of up to 3.0 m limits your distance to 100 km. If the load extends more than 1.0 m beyond the reflectors, then you must attach at least two markers. You need:
- A bright red flag, minimum dimensions 30 x 30 cm, fixed by a cross bar.
- A bright red hanging board, minimum dimensions 30 x 30 cm, fixed at right angles to the direction of travel.
- Instead of the sign, you can also attach a bright red cylindrical body, with a minimum height of 30 cm and minimum diameter 35 cm.
The maximum fixing height of the flag and sign is 1.5 m above the road surface. Where necessary, at least one red light is required. In addition, there must be a red reflector, which must be attached no higher than 90 cm above the road surface.
1 StVO, Section 22 (4)